Sunday, February 15, 2015

We are going on a hike... for six months.

When asked by a reporter why anyone would want to climb Mt. Everest, George Mallory supposedly replied "Because it's there." What an arrogant douche, no?

Mallory and his climbing partner disappeared 800 ft from the summit in 1924, on their third expedition to climb Mt. Everest. It is unknown if they ever made it to the top. Mallory's mummified remains were found in 1999. I didn't really know all this off the top of my head. I knew that quote existed, and I knew someone associated with old school mountain climbing said it. A quick Google search and a bit of the ol' Wikipedia told me the rest.

I guess a lot of people who go off on adventures are asked why they would want to leave the comforts of modern life to do something with no obvious point. Why put your body through all that pain and discomfort? Why potentially risk injury or even death? I certainly have been asked this in regards to the several weird things I do that I consider adventurous, whether it be rock climbing, mountain biking, hiking, Burning Man, or undergoing ridiculous and wholly unnecessary DIY projects.

There are, I am sure, as many answers to the question of "why?" as there are people to answer. I have a lot of different answers to this question. The simplest answer for me is that most any adventure is fun. But there is beauty, there is adrenaline, there is camaraderie, there is wonder, and there is the challenge. I expect to find all of that and more on the Appalachian Trail.

I also like accomplishing things. For the last 2.5 years, I have worked as a postdoc in a lab and accomplished nearly nothing. So long story short, I am quitting that job. I have been wanting to hike the Appalachian Trail since I found out it was thing. Probably sometime in late high school/ early college. I nearly dropped out of grad school during my first year in Eugene to go hike the trail. But I didn't, and I am glad. Not because I finished grad school, oh no, that has probably been more trouble than it was worth, but instead because of all the experiences I had during my time in Eugene. Both the good and the bad things that have shaped me as a person. And of course, all the friends I made. And of course, Becca Loo!



So now that my career in Academia is coming to an end, I can forget about all the wasted efforts in the lab and go out and accomplish something new. All 2185 or whatever miles of the Appalachian Trail will be quite the accomplishment. But more importantly it will be those other things. It will be fun and full of adventure and I am sure to have some sort of personal growth too.

The reason for the AT for Becca, I just learned today, is that she wants to be bald and homeless for a bit. Maybe she will clarify this position sometime in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment