Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Day 74: Hi Scott, hi Priest, bye Ollie:(

This was our test day to see if we would try to adopt/buy the adorable Ollie Luckdragon. She's just a pup, so could she walk 15 miles? We're we ready to give up the freedom of being dogless? Would this neglectful douchebag hunter that obviously does not give a crap even let her go for a reasonable price?

Meanwhile I was on Jurek watch 2008 day three. When will he pass us? It could be any time now! How can I justify walking deep into the woods to poop knowing Scott might pass me mid doof?

Obviously a stressful day.

We ended up seeing Scott near the Priest Shelter. Becca had given me the idea that I should make sure to have "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor (you know the one, the song Rocky trains to) ready to play for him. So we ate lunch and soon saw him running up with the two running groupies thar had passed by southbound in order to meet Scott and run with him. I figured he would just run by with a smile, because... you know.. he has to run 50 miles today! Instead he stopped for a bit to talk to us and thank us for the tongue in cheek motivational music. He even stopped a bit down the trail when I noticed the photo I snapped of him sucked and I asked for another. He even asked a groupie to snap one of us. I was really surprised by his friendliness or at least willingness to stop for a bit on his massive quest.

Jurek watch 2008 complete, now I can doof whenever I please.

Next we hiked down the priest to where Ollie Luckdragons redneck backwoods worthless owner should be waiting. At least there was word of trail msgic. At this point Ollie,being a tiny adorable puppy, was tuckered out and we think her foot pads looked a bit raw. Ollie had no future as a 2015 trail dog. Poophead would get his hunting beagle back without a fight from us. But for the descent, I got some real sweet Ollie time because I had to carry her for nearly half the way down.

When we got down he was there, looking like that mutant from Goonies, Sloth. He put her in the bed of the truck and at least linked her to a cable so she wouldn't fly out. She needed to be layed out on the soft seats. Poor Ollie. We delivered her back into a life of probable neglect :(

But at least there was indeed trail magic. A former thru hiker named Milo served us up some homemade pulled pork sammiches and sodas and beer. Then his pal Kent came with more beer and watermelon salad. This brightened up our night. We camped by the river and watched fireflies on the suspension bridge before heading to bed.

So a big day.

No comments:

Post a Comment