Monday, April 27, 2015

Day 24: FREEDOM at mile 248

We are out of the smokies. First stop, standing bear hostel for a short term resupply and some shitty microwave food and frozen pizzas and pbr for brunch. Soda never tasted so good. This was the first resupply we got rid of almost all our food.
Even though it was probably only 70 degrees, it felt hot compared to the last few frigid days.
We got to standing bear and stayed there for a few hours shopping and making frozen foods. Also we each had a few pbrs and various sodas. Yoohoo got two of his namesake, 2 pbr, and 2 sodas apparantly. Thats a Lotta liquid. Especially considering we had about 5 more miles of climbing to do. Vurps abound.
On top of the mountain there was a big white plastic x that was labeled as part of an aerial survey. As I waited for Sward to reach the top I layer out in the sun with my shirt off. I don't think I have removed either my inner or outer shirt for about a week. Seriously. I sleep in it and hike in it because it's been so cold. So I am still pasty. Ghost noted that I pretty much resembled that x with my shirt off laying out. So maybe I ruined their survey? Don't take predictions about an inevitable earth quake in the southern appalachians seriously.
We decided to stop short of the epic trail magic so we hope that the predicted rain doesn't mess up any potential hiker breakfast we might encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment