Monday, July 13, 2015

Day 103: Port Clinton

We hiked a long day into Port Clinton. It was also our first super rocky day.

We hit another small milestone, 1200 miles. Gotta love all these small accomplishments. It definitely helps the mental challenge of the long distance hike to hit small, and unplanned, goals.Do I say that everytime we hit one? Like did I say that yesterday when we hit the 1000 miles left countdown? Did I even write about that? Wow, trail brain (that's a thing, right?).

I also saw my first real live wild rattlesnake. I heard the rattle earlier than I was able to spot it, it's head right on the left edge of the trail. I had to walk out of site before it would move, though it would stop rattling of i held still for a minute. It went across the trail but not far enough off to make me happy about other hikers with headphones coming by and maybe not hearing. I threw a few.sticks at it, which turned out to be a mistake. This angered the snake so much that it would not stop rattling even when I was well out 9f sight. Oops. Oh well, hopefully this gives the hikers coming.up enough time to notice the noise.

Towards the end, we stumbled on some day hikers ,Sam and Bridgette , who gave us a beer and their phone number in case we found our selves in need. People can be so great.

Like I said, the path was rocky almost all 18 miles of the day. We ended with a ridiculous steep slippery gravel descent into Port Clinton. We headed into the "hotel" there to eat giant sandwiches and have a few beers before going to the north edge of this tiny village, where they have a campground for thru hikers.

No comments:

Post a Comment