Saturday, July 25, 2015

Day 113: More Jersey

Not much to report. Its the same jersey trail, but today is a little less hot and shitty.

This morning while drinking our coffee at a beautiful vista, which we only went to because we had to get up and out of mosquito pitlandia, we were told by Trial and Error that there was a deli right off the trail just a few miles away. We had forgotten this deli stop! So we downed our crappy coffee substitute and headed for the real thing.

Luckily, this reported deli had just been reopened a week ago. Phew. No appalachian fail today. We got breakfast sandwiches and coffees and the also loaded up on subs and sodas for later. Becca however couldn't wait and ate her sub right away. At the awesome old Ccc shelter up on a mtn top where we ate lunch, we finished off the 2 subs I bought.

At the deli we met a trail angel who is helping hikers immensely by dropping off spring water at a shelter, 22 gallons at a time. Given NJs water situation, this act is just heroic. And we definitely appreciated it when we reached the shelter and got to fill up.

I ended the day with a different appalachian fail. I threw my bear line and rock bag into a branch area that got it irretrievably stuck. I tried over and over to throw the line back over to change the angle and get it unstuck, but I ended up just making it worse. All brute force did was give me a big blister on my finger, right where my hand grips my hiking pole.

No comments:

Post a Comment